Friday, September 03, 2010

TOEFL Essay - The past holds more allure

Q. If you could travel back in time or into the future, which would you choose and what exact period of time would you like to experience?

A.
Many scientists have wished to travel to other times and places. Some look forward to the future, others glance backward and see promise. Though I'm not a scientific individual, I often desire to return to previous events and influence them. The past holds interest for me since I love history and what's behind us and thanks to my growing older. Let me explain.

We get a foothold in the past and exploit this footing to influence past events. When anyone attains power, they influence the past, present and future. I would like to bet on games with small amounts of money to confuse outcomes, or create media events that reach a majority readership. For example, when we travel to the past we have a stake in what goes on now. If you move a plate on a table, less people will eat in the future. I would make sure that plates equal guests. My influence would therefore be sporting and culinary.

I love history because that's where emergencies are. We often analyze crises and diplomatic blunders. These are all in the past, in history, where I've read them. History is also an area that grows with us but holding onto, we still keep our health. More history is now behind us than in front of us, especially if you're reading this. As we grow up, our ability to influence what is behind us only improves, since there's no looking forward without first setting ourselves up in a position to see forward. For example, if you have bad eyesight, you cannot see the past. I would travel there, since it's probably somewhat your fault.

No comments: